The Baptist group in Hati was charged with child kidnapping Thursday. The group of 10 Baptists had hoped that today would be the end to this ordeal, but instead, there is still a long road ahead. The prosecutor in the case feels there is enough evidence to build a criminal case.
The children were picked up last week by a Baptist group called New Life Children’s Refuge (based out of Idaho). They tried to take the 33 children across the border to the Dominican Republic to establish an orphanage. They were arrested at the border. Laura Silsby, head of New Life Children’s Refuge, told the AFP that the group’s aims were entirely altruistic. She told the AFP that “We came here literally to just help the children. Our intentions were good … We wanted to help those who lost parents in the quake or were abandoned.” Even though there were 10 people in the Baptist Group, it looks like Laura Silsby was the brains behind the events. Most of the other folks in the group were completely unaware.
U.S. authorities are currently monitoring the proceedings and open to discussing other legal avenues with the Haitians for the accused. For now, it looks like the Haitian government is dealing with the case on their own. The case is supposed to go before a judge within the next few months. It’s unclear if the American’s will be jailed during the whole time.